Friday, March 11, 2011

Vacation Station

Off to Seattle, I go...I'm reminded of the first time I ever ate oysters, it was in Vancouver and I fell in love at first bite. The briny, silky flavor became one of a couple few addictions which include bacon, pork belly, caffeine, and sweet sweet gin.
Some of my favorite oysters:
Little Bays
Coleville Bays
That is all.

A couple of my favorite ways to eat oysters:
Freshly shucked, nothing on them.

What can I say, I'm a purist, I like most things in their raw form, with no sauces, or seasoning. I love steak tartar, I love salmon tartar, I prefer sashimi to sushi. And I like my oysters raw on the half shell.

Eating a raw oyster, is nothing more than a trip down memory lane. I find most peoples favorite oysters are strongly connected to their childhood, and their memories of jumping into the ocean, and accidentally swallowing a mouthful of salty, briny sea water.

However for those who enjoy dinner parties, and fancifying things that don't need to be fancified.
You can make oyster shooters:
Simple:
Take a shot glass, fill with champagne, shuck an oyster into champagne shot.
Take a shot glass, fill with guiness, shuck an oyster into guiness shot
Take a shot glass, fill with bloody caesar mix, and gin, and a shucked oyster.

They're fun to look at, fun to eat, and a great way to introduce people to oysters.

No comments:

Post a Comment