Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chicken as a Color



A good friend of mine spent some time teaching English as a second language.  My favorite story was the day she was asking her class for synonyms for the color beige.  Tan was nominated, light brown was declared and from the back of the room, someone offered up "chicken".  

At first we laughed at the idea of painting a room the color chicken, but then we got into the details, was it raw or roasted? More pink or more brown in it's undertones...Egg Shell is a famous color, why not Chicken Flesh?




This topic of beige rolled over into another question on the mind of everyone, 


If all their food is in shades of beige, is it a bad restaurant (chicken, potatoes, gravy)
I heard someone say this about Swiss Chalet once

Is there truth to this statement?  I know that food with more color is better for you, the most colorful fruits and vegetables are higher in vitamins.  And I'm not advocating that we all go to Swiss Chalet a very beige/chicken - color forward menu, however I find myself often craving and missing the Quebec answer to the Chalet, St. Hubert.  Many winter nights were spent ordering three piece chicken and fries (I get it, you're judging me, I'm a chef at high end restaurants and I crave chicken ordered in multiples of three, and fried potatoes, leave me alone)


Beige ain't so bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment